Reconciliation & Eucharist
What an exciting time in the life for your family! We are looking forward to working together to prepare your child to receive their sacraments!
The Church views parents as having both the privilege and the obligation of forming their children in faith. This is made clear when the child was presented to the Church for Baptism. At that time you were reminded that you have the responsibility of “raising them in the practice of the faith” (from the Rite of Baptism). Part of that privilege and obligation is assuring the child is prepared for the reception of sacraments.
First Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist
First Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist are generally received in the 2nd grade. Students must have successfully completed 1st grade Religious Education and be actively participating in 2nd grade Religious Education. For older students, two consecutive years of Religious Education participation is required.
In order to receive the sacraments a child is required to have had 2 consecutive years of faithful attendance (defined as not missing more than 3 classes total in one year) in the Religious Education (PREP) program.
Catholic school children, those who attend a private Catholic diocesan school, should receive their sacrament at their home parish. Formation classes for these children are given at Our Lady of Fatima. Be sure to complete a family registration form for your catholic school children.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION CHECK LIST
- Your family should be registered members of Our Lady of Fatima Parish and attend Mass regularly.
- Regular attendance (maximum 3 absences) in our PREP (Religious Education) program. If the 1st year of faith formation was not at Our Lady of Fatima, we will need a record of your child successfully completing the program from your previous church.
- If your child was NOT baptized at Our Lady of Fatima, please supply us with a copy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate with the full name of church and address.
- Parent(s) with their child receiving the sacrament, are required to attend formation sessions and retreats. 2016-2017 Sacramental Formation Schedule (SFP) have been posted.
- In addition to regular classes, students will prepare for sacraments in separate Saturday sessions. Dates provided in the registration packet.
YOUNGER CHILDREN OLDER CHILDREN
1st Reconciliation December 10, 2016 – 10AM TBD
1st Communion May 6, 2017 – 10 AM TBD
RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR CHILDREN – RCIC Children, 3rd through 12th grade, who have not received the Sacramental of Baptism and who have not received formal instruction in Faith Formation and have a desire to receive the Sacrament of First Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist, please contact the Religious Education Office to discuss your family faith formation options. These situations are discussed and evaluated on an individual basis.
SACRAMENTAL REGISTRATION HANDBOOK Sacramental Registration Handbook will be issued to any eligible candidate preparing to receive their sacraments. Please be sure to read your book which contains registration form, fee information, important dates and all necessary forms needed to prepare for your Sacrament.
Please contact the Religious Education Office to register. Email: PREP@OLFNEWCASTLE.COM